Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Differentiation

In my classroom I want to include differentiation.  Differentiation is basically a process of presenting information to the individual needs of each student.  Dividing the class into groups according to levels can be a great way to focus on the needs of students.  The idea is to have the more advanced students be in one group, the intermediate in a group, and then the not as advanced students be in a group.  After they are separated give them similar, but different problems to push all of them at their different levels.  In my band class I want periodically separate the players into three groups: more advanced, intermediate and beginner level.  At a High School it is possible to get all three levels in one classroom.  I will give the advanced players opportunities to play harder music and on the opposite end I will give the beginners more attention and easier music.  There is no way I could do this by myself, so I will hire help to be with each group.  As the children meet in smaller groups and with other students of their same level more needs can be met.  I can focus on basic skills and technique.  The more advanced students will be able to working on technique and musicianship.  The intermediate group will receive a little bit of both.

Another idea of including differentiation is to use technology.  To teach the students to keep the rhythm and time I will use a metronome in practice.  This will help them see where the beats are and give them a goal as to where to go musically. 

I will also include scaffolding in my class. For example, I will teach the students the vocabulary of music; such as legato, andante and so on.  I will teach them what these mean so when we are rehearsing a piece of music they will know what style to play the music at.

I'm excited to use these tactics and see how they will help my future students.

No comments:

Post a Comment